France and AUKUS

France and AUKUS

The sudden announcement of AUKUS on September 15, 2021 has caused some significant diplomatic damage between the United States and its oldest ally, France.  The trilateral agreement, among Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States, is both a submarine technology deal and a new 

The Crimes of Agnès Buzyn

The Crimes of Agnès Buzyn

Or should that be the “crimes” of Agnès Buzyn? As widely reported even in the international press, Dr. Agnès Buzyn, Macron’s former Minister of Health and Solidarity, has been charged with “endangering the lives of others” in her handling of the pandemic.  She has been 

A Dinner in Béziers?

A Dinner in Béziers?

Brigitte Bardot has affirmed her support for Éric Zemmour, the  journalist/commentator who is flirting with a run for the presidency of France next year.  Brigitte Bardot has also denounced the pass sanitaire (the proof of vaccination or negative test within 72 hours) imposed by Emmanuel 

Context: Macron and Afghanistan

Context: Macron and Afghanistan

There are several important points to remember in regard to Emmanuel Macron, as reporters quote him on Afghanistan.  It’s largely a matter of context. First, Macron is facing reelection in April, 2022, less than a year away. Second, he is likely to be in a 

Afghanistan: The Doha Agreement

Afghanistan: The Doha Agreement

The mid-August 2021 end of the Afghan War (in the United States, anyway) came about a month earlier than projected, but it was eighteen months in the making. Longer than that, of course. But we were preoccupied with covid and lockdown, with watching Tiger King 

The Regionals 2021, first round: An Overview

The Regionals 2021, first round: An Overview

The first tour (round) of the 2021 regional and departmental elections in France is now over.   It surprised everyone.   The elections held throughout the country on June 20 seem to have muddied, rather than clarified, the forecasts for the presidential elections next year. And they 

The Regionals in Hauts-de-France and the Presidential Election

The Regionals in Hauts-de-France and the Presidential Election

The région of Hauts-de-France came into existence in 2016, as Picardy was added to the previous Nord-Pas-de-Calais region. It is the northernmost part of the country, bordering Belgium and the English Channel, and includes the cities of Lille (the site of the Prefecture), Dunkirk, Amiens, 

Riviera Regionals, Part I: 2015 (and the worst Joan of Arc day ever)

Riviera Regionals, Part I: 2015 (and the worst Joan of Arc day ever)

A recent survey in France suggested that 61% of those polled would not vote for Emmanuel Macron in the first round of the presidential elections next year.  Of the remaining 39%, 11% said they would definitely vote for him, and 28% said it was “possible.”  

The Occupation of the Odéon Theater

The Occupation of the Odéon Theater

First, watch this terrific performance of the Chilean resistance song (“The people united will never be defeated!”) in front of the Odéon Theater. (An original version is in the notes below, along with the link to the full 30 minute open air concert.) So what 

The Presidential Elections, 2022: The Outsider from Cannes

The Presidential Elections, 2022: The Outsider from Cannes

David Lisnard has been Mayor of Cannes–home of Riviera beaches, sun, the film festival– since 2014.  He was reelected to another six year term in March 2020 by 88% of the vote.  He is 52.  He is a father to three children from his first